1. Define the construct and proposed interpretation|
2. Make explicit the intended decision(s)
3. Define the interpretation-use argument, and prioritize needed validity evidence
4. Identify candidate instruments and/or create/adapt a new instrument
5. Appraise existing evidence and collect new evidence as needed
6. Keep track of practical issues including cost
7. Formulate/synthesize the validity argument in relation to the interpretation-use argument
8. Make a judgment: does the evidence support the intended use?